Electrical Surge Protection Services
Protect Your Home from Power Spikes & Surges Today
Power surges are capable of causing severe damage to your electrical system. Power strips are often not enough to protect expensive electronics from damage. The master electricians at Ideal Electric offer the most secure surge protection services. We have over 30 years of experience installing surge protection and suppression systems in homes across Milwaukee and Southeast Wisconsin. There is no “one size fits all” method of surge protection. The number of appliances in your home will determine the type of surge protector you need. Surge suppression doesn't have to break the bank. We offer $25 surge protectors, ideal for small electronics and basic office equipment, and whole home surge protectors for comprehensive suppression against damaging electrical spikes.
Get Quality Surge Protection
Whole Home Surge Protection
Typical surge protectors, or surge suppressors, cover one outlet while a whole home surge protector keeps your whole house safe from electrical spikes at once. At Ideal Electric, we offer whole home surge protection services that are warrantied against appliance damage and guaranteed for life. Unlike plug-in surge protectors, whole-house suppressors are hard-wired to your home’s circuit breaker or electrical box, so you’ll need to have one professionally installed. On average, it can take a licensed electrician about two hours to install. There’s no one better for the job than Ideal Electric.
What is a power surge?
Power surges are higher than normal surges of electrical power. A typical household appliance carries voltage levels between 110 and 220. On average, the United States operates appliances on 120 volts. A surge occurs when a significantly higher amount of voltage comes through wires and into devices. The more powerful the surge, the more risk there is to your electronics and appliances.
What causes power surges?
Power surges are quick, lasting less than a second, but carry enough volts of electricity to fry circuit boards, crash hard drives and ruin home appliances. The top 5 causes of power surges are:
- High-voltage electrical devices
- Faulty wiring
- Overloaded outlets/circuits
- Weather events
- Power outages
- High-voltage electrical devices - Laser printers, dryers, air conditioners and refrigerators are among some of the most common household appliances that can create power surges.
- Faulty wiring - Faulty wiring might not be easy to see but some signs to look out for near your outlets include burn marks, a burning smell and a buzzing sound or circuit breakers tripping. If you notice these signs, unplug any connected devices, turn off the electricity in that area and call a certified electrician.
- Overloaded outlets/circuits - If too much power is drawn from a single circuit, it could cause an electrical overload. This happens most often from overusing extension cords and plugging too many devices into the same circuit.
- Lightning-induced surges and downed power lines - These are the most powerful and most feared surges, though the lightning strike has to be less than a mile from the house to cause harm. If the lightning strike causes a powerline to go down, a power surge could happen more easily.
- Power outages - Storms can cause large power outages and grid failures, but just because outages are common doesn't mean they're not damaging. When the power comes back on, the sudden jump in current can create a power surge, damaging your unpowered appliances.
Fortunately, whole home surge protectors can combat intense power surges. A whole home surge protector installed by Ideal Electric will prevent power surges across your entire home. Whether you're experiencing an electrical overload, faulty wiring, lightning or a power outage, a surge protector will act against the surge. Ideal Electrical also offers surge suppressors for commercial and industrial electrical systems.