Hot Tub and Pool Wiring
After having your pool or hot tub installed, electrical wiring will need to be installed to provide power to your pool pump, heat pump, timers, automatic covers, chlorinators and any lights inside or around the pool. All in-ground pools, above-ground pools and spas require ground fault circuit interrupter protection by code. If your pool does not have GFCI installed, it’s a huge safety risk. GFCI will detect leakage so you don’t get electrocuted.
An experienced electrician will be familiar with the essential pool and hot tub electrical requirements so your emergency switches and outlets are reliable and safe. Ideal Electric will provide you with a quote to determine the best way to get electrical wiring to your pool and spa equipment. We’ll also need to evaluate the current power around your home to see if the electrical panel is capable of powering the new additions. If the current power isn’t sufficient, you’ll have to have a subpanel installed or a separate electrical upgrade.
Pool Electrical Code Requirements
Electrical installations to maintain water quality, power lights, run pumps, etc. must be done according to the National Electrical Code (NEC) and performed by a licensed electrician. Local rules will vary, but they generally follow the NEC closely.
- Overhead Electrical Lines - Utility power lines must be 22.5 feet above the water level, and communication cables must be at least 10 feet above the water level.
- Underground Wiring - You cannot have wiring under a pool or spa and it cannot be closer than 5 feet from the sidewalls. The only exception to sidewall wiring is if there is insufficient space to maintain a 5-foot separation.
- Electrical Outlet Receptacles - To prevent shock, receptacles for pumps and motors must be between 6 to 10 feet from the pool walls, outlet receptacles should be no closer than 6 feet away, and in-ground pools need at least one GFCI-protected convenience outlet 6 to 20 feet from the pool edge. All these receptacles should be GFCI protected.
- GFCI Protection - Most equipment needs to be GFCI protected including outlet receptacles, underwater pool lights, motors and controls for pool covers, outlet receptacles and light fixtures.
- Maintenance Disconnect - To shut off power to pool pumps, filters and other equipment, you’ll need a maintenance disconnect. It must be within sight but can be no closer than 5 feet from the pool, so you can’t turn it off from inside the pool.
Pool and Spa Lighting Installation
From inground to all around, Ideal Electric will install pool and spa lighting to brighten up your outdoor space during those summer night dips. To add some pizzaz, you can choose from color-changing pool light options (white, blue, green, red, etc.) Outdoor lighting doesn’t just add to the aesthetic appeal of your backyard utopia, it’s also essential for lighting walkways to prevent slip and fall accidents. No matter what type of lights you need installed, our electricians can conquer it all.
Types of pool light options:
- Flush-mounted underwater halogen light - Halogen is significantly cheaper to install but uses more power and needs more maintenance than LED options.
- Flush-mounted underwater LED lights - They are mounted inside the pool wall and are great for new pool builds.
- Surface-mounted underwater LED lights - Easy installation and retro-fitting but more easily broken as they stick out of the pool wall.
- Surface-mounted underwater halogen lights - The standard underwater pool light; provides ample lighting and is much cheaper than other options.
- Pool garden lighting - Used around the exterior of the pool in the landscape. Brings life to your garden.
- LED flood lights - Lights large areas and are more energy efficient than halogen. You might cause over illumination without an electrician's help.
- Feature lighting - Highlight a feature of your pool such as waterfalls, trees or other landscaping.
- Submersible and floating LED lighting - Best for parties; come in different shapes, colors and sizes and float on the surface of the pool or are submerged.